If you’re a business owner and you’re new to the world of photography, here are 5 basic tips for you
Equipment you’ll need to make professional photographs for your business are
- THE CAMERA – you can use your mobile phone, but if can, buy a DSLR. It’ll give you better quality resolution and focus.
- THE TRIPOD – great for steading the camera and for multiple images. Also, it’s very helpful if you’re taking pictures of yourself alone.
- BACKDROPS – the best background for your pictures is a white wall. You want to keep it simple and light. You can even buy backdrops (if you’re gonna use flat lay style). Great alternatives for backdrops are fake marble, paper, table, and wood floor. You need to try different styles and find what fits you and your company’s branding the most. Remember, less is more.
- PROPS – you can use whatever you have at home, but it needs to have nice visual flow. All props need to complement each other. Also, they need to be in the same theme and have similar colors. You can find examples of complementary or analogous color schemes on a color wheel.
Lighting is important because it can make any photo amazing or terrible. Too light or too dark are both extremes that can ruin the quality of your photo. Also, if you’re using DSLR it’s good to know what is:
- ISO – Do you have enough sunlight? ISO is a way to brighten your photos. You can turn it down or up, depends on the light around you.
- APERTURE – What do you want in focus? If the aperture is large, the depth of field is small (fuzzy background and front in focus) and if the aperture is small the depth of field is large (front is fuzzy and the background in focus).
- SHUTTER SPEED – How much exposing lights do you want onto the camera sensor? Slower shutter speeds allow the camera to absorb more light into the sensor. It’s also used as a creator of blur motions.
There are two types of lighting:
- Natural light – if you have a great source of light from your house/office, use it! Set everything you need near a window or on the balcony. You can use reflectors, they’re great for removing shadows or manipulating them in other ways. Natural light is always the best light for photos. If the weather is cloudy or gray, the photos might be lackluster. You don’t want flat images without colors, unless you’re a master in photo editing.
- Artificial lightning – a great option for dark spaces. You can have your own little studio at home or at the office for a small amount of money. Even a desk lamp pointed in the right direction can make big difference. Pay attention to the color of the bulb, it needs to be cool white (you can find it in every supermarket)! If want, invest more money and buy two softboxes and one ring light
A shot list for business promotion:
- Flatlay – most popular type of Instagram photos, it represent shoots from above. It’s an excellent way for product photographs and branding.
- Environmental – shoot your store, workspace or office.
- Portrait – shoot your employees or customers and write a story that adds up in a professional way.
You can create everything you need without being a master at it and without installing software. Here are great options for all non-professionals:
- Pixlr – an online photo editor. You can make easy and advanced changes to images. It’s free to use and you can access it on all platforms – PC, tablet or mobile phone.
- PhotoScape – great for easy changes like setting brightness, resizing, cutting, adding watermark or creating collages. You’ll need to install it on a PC or Mac.
- Picmonkey – most popular online photo editor. It’s very easy to use with a great base of „How to use it“ videos on YouTube. Unfortunately, it’s not free anymore, but you can the use 7 days free trial to get started.
- Canva – great for creating business cards, featured images and press kits. It contains a lot of templates. Also, it’s an online photo editor so you don’t need to install anything at all.
- A Color Story – a free mobile app with a lot of filters and effects. It’s great for Instagram.
Always search for new ideas! Look around on other posts that you like and ask yourself what you like about the photos. Inspire yourself to create your own style by incorporating what you like. Just don’t be a copycat! Add your own personal touch to every photo. Instagram and Pinterest are the best platforms for an inspiration.
We hope that even one of these amazing photography tips will help you create amazing pictures! If yes, share it with us!